Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Try it Tuesday - Gluten Free...

Gluten Free...
Recently a friend decided to go "Gluten Free"...and I hear once you go Gluten Free (GF) you never go back! (couldn't resist). And in doing so she has had some difficulty in her meal planning. I will also explain to you that she is only going GF in support of her boyfriend, which makes her a true doll or totally nuts. Either way I applaud her desire to continue having meals with her boyfriend. But what I didn't realize is that this endeavor would involve me. I am happily gluten-full and have no plans on changing my wheat loving life. Yet here we are experimenting with some GF recipes. I told Luke that we were being supportive and that we should also be sensitive to the needs of others...He gave me a dirty look and asked when this would be over and he could have a bagel, pretzels, whiskey and chocolate cake. I'm not sure if he wants that in one meal, but I'll make it happen!
So here is the main thing that I learned on my GF adventure....if it says GF it will no doubt cost double.
Well, Caleene and Corey and all you other GF friends out there here's a couple recipes for you...

Kale Salad with Chicken 

Ingredients:
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard - Grey Poupon is GF

2-4 cups kale, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 small fennel bulb, diced
1 cup walnuts, chopped
2 cups dried cranberries
2 chicken breast, cooked and chopped - to make this super easy, I bought a rotisserie chicken at Publix

Directions:
Whisk together garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, zest, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine kale, onion, pepper, fennel, walnuts, cranberries, and chicken. Pour dressing over and toss to coat. Serve.

This was really good, a bit tangy which I enjoyed. This kale was a nice surprise.


Chicken Piccata


Ingredients:
1- 1.5 pounds chicken cutlets - I used chicken tenders, its what I had available
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock - gluten free
1/4 cup capers, drained
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup parsley, chopped

Directions:
Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. 
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium/high heat. Cook chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan and cover to keep warm. 
Stir in the chicken broth, lemon juice, and capers, scraping up any bits in the pan. Simmer until sauce is reduced and slightly syrupy. Return chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes; remove from pan. Add butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.
Serve and enjoy...


Another easy meal would be Fajitas - chicken or steak....corn tortillas are gluten free and according to McCormick's web site, their seasoning packets are also generally gluten free...






 Just a few ideas for you and your GF life...it took me awhile to type this because I was eating pretzels...don't worry they were GF.
Once this bag is gone we are back in wheat, rye, etc. action!
I hope these recipes are enjoyable and helpful....Just give them a try...its GF Tuesday!
Sharron




No comments:

Post a Comment