Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Try It Tuesday - Sweet Potato Crusted Fish

Sweet Potato Crusted Fish... 



 I'm always looking for ways to camouflage jazz up some fish so that Luke and Jackson will agree to eat it. I'm not sure where I found this recipe, but it was a little tricky. I think I can offer a few pointers.

Ingredients- 
     1 pound mild, flaky fish - I used grouper but tilapia or snapper might work too
     2 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
     1 egg plus 2 egg whites
     1/2 cup flour - seasoned with salt and pepper
     2 Tbsp olive oil
     2 Tbsp butter - if you like

Directions-
     Add seasoned flour to a shallow dish (sized for dredging fish). In another shallow dish, whisk together 1 egg plus 2 egg whites.
     Preheat oven to 375. You will need a large oven safe skillet (this means no plastic anywhere). Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add one Tbsp butter.
     This is the tricky part....estimate the size of your fish and add a thin layer of shredded sweet potatoes that is about the same size and shape as your fish to the skillet (one little pile for each piece of fish).
     While this is heating up, dredge your fish through flour mixture and then through egg wash; set on top of your sweet potato mixture. Do this for each piece of fish. Cook for about 4 minutes - until there is a slight golden crust to the potato. Lift fish out of the pan with a spatula (This will fail miserably if you did not properly oil your pan or if you have a lousy pan...just saying).
     While you are holding the fish with the spatula, add another Tbsp of butter...then add another layer of the shredded sweet potatoes to the pan - you know making sure it is approximately the size of your fish. NOW...flip your fish onto this layer of potato....
     Place entire skillet into the oven for about 5-8 minutes.

I did not take pictures of the baking process, I'll do it next time and I'll post follow up photos. I was just trying to get dinner made while drinking my wine, without tripping over Blake who was crawling between my legs!

Give it a try...fish is so good for you...I served this fish over a Green salad with Feta, black beans and red pepper....let me know if you try it and if you like it...
Sharron



No comments:

Post a Comment