Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Try It Tuesday


One of my New Years Resolutions is to try a new recipe every week. And in doing so I hope to share the best of what I find with you all. I cook frequently and many friends ask me what I cook and how do I have time to cook....The answer:  I really don't know. I just make a menu at the beginning of the week and only go to the grocery store once a week, that's my rule. I just don't have the time to be running to the store daily. These menus that I speak of are not fancy or gourmet, meals under duress is usually what goes on here. There are times that I am cooking and a ball goes flying past my head, and there is generally some car tactically placed under my left heel.
Try it Tuesdays...I'll try to share a recipe every week... Every recipe will be fast and mostly low fat, usually fairly healthy too. I love Mexican food so you will see lots of Mexican options I would bet. And I will put in some options for those of you who like more carbs and fat...taste! I hope that you will give me some feedback. Do you like the recipe and would you like me to continue to share. Certainly the 7 million recipes that I have collected over the years should shake out some good meals. Remember take out is only a phone call away...


Mexican Casserole

I usually start the week by cooking up a few chicken breasts that I can use throughout the week.

Ingredients:
3 Chicken Breasts - cooked and chopped
1/2 (1.25 oz) package Taco Seasoning mix
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained - Pinto beans would be good too
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
1/4 - 1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese - get the 2% for lower fat

Optional ingredients:
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 bag tortilla chips
JalapeƱos
Sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, mix chicken, taco seasoning, beans, corn, and salsa. (You can throw add rice here if you want)

Spread mixture in 9x9 inch baking dish (or whatever size you have). Top with 1/2 cup of cheese (I only use a very little). Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle remaining cheese on to serving. Tortilla chips can be crushed on top as you serve or you can have them handy in case your husband is like mine and thinks that you can eat anything with a chip! Also for you jalapeno or sour cream lovers, add those items once your portion is plated.

Mine with no cheese and Luke's with cheese...there are definitely chips near him!


No comments:

Post a Comment